Battery Gardens is committed to helping support our community.
A portion of each event or meal at Battery Gardens Restaurant will benefit the Battery Park Conservancy.
Battery Park provides the public with many services such as a departure point for many ferries including the Staten Island and Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island ferries. One of the oldest public spaces in New York City, the 25-acre landscaped park provides visitors opportunities to bike, run, or simply relax and enjoy the harbor views.
Battery Park is where the history of New York City began. Dutch settlers first landed here in 1623 and later established New Amsterdam on this southern tip of the island of Manhattan. Around 1683, the first of a series of gun batteries was created around the shore. Fort George (as Fort Amsterdam was then known) was completely demolished in 1788, and its remnants were used to fill in the shore and expand the Battery. The old fort was renamed Castle Garden which provided countless receptions and performances for more than thirty years. From 1855 to 1890 the building was used as The Federal Immigration Center for the east coast, processing approximately eight million immigrants. In 1890 Castle Clinton was acquired by the New York City Department of Public Parks and is now home to musical concerts as well as access to the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island.
Portions of Battery Park were closed from 1940 to 1952, while the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel and the Battery Park Underpass were built beneath it. Although construction was delayed by World War II, New Yorkers were delighted with the dramatically transformed park, completely redone and expanded by two acres. These alterations included the addition of Peter Minuit Plaza in 1955 and the dedication of the East Coast Memorial in 1963. In 1982 New York State designated Battery Park as a part of Harbor Park, a group of historic waterfront sites.
For more information, please visit us at: http://www.thebattery.org/